When you own and run a business, there are a number of rights of passage that you have to go through. Only when you have had to perform such duties can you honestly say that you are an experienced Managing Director of your own business.
How many of the following can you tick off? (I must stress that I have only done some of these myself – but I’m not telling you which ones!):
- Administered first aid to an employee
- Told an employee that they have personal hygiene problems
- Presented to a potential client for work that would save the business
- Delivered a verbal warning to a member of staff for downloading hardcore pornography
- Been interviewed by the police about a current or ex-employee
- Had to deal with the HR issues surrounding one member of staff having an affair with the partner of another member of staff
- Had to fire someone from a job that they can’t afford to lose
- Gone through the small claims court to get an invoice paid
- Gone through the small claims court to defend an invoice that you don’t think should be paid
- Worked Christmas Day
I’m sure you could come up with your own list, let’s hear them!